Orchid flower lovers are the people of different occupations with certain hobbies and lifestyles. But, apparently, being obsessed with such beautiful and unusual flowers as orchids is what unites them sharing a passion for these flowers.
Orchids are the flowering plants with colorful blooms being seed plants belonging to the widespread family, the largest one, which includes more than 30 thousand different types of orchids and more than 200 thousand hybrids.
In fact, orchids have an unbelievable ability to adapt hence you can meet them in the tropics and even arctic tundra, as well as anywhere in between.
Interesting facts about orchids
Have you ever wondered if there are certain unusual facts related to the orchid family? If you are the owner of a beautiful and colorful orchid, you may find those facts very interesting:
- Orchids’ size usually rides on the species. These days you can easily purchase super tiny orchids to put on the window, as well as extremely large ones for outdoors.
- Each flower of any orchid can be equally divided into two small parts;
- Some species of the orchid family are not capable of producing sugar as a food. Instead of getting the necessary energy and minerals from sunlight, they get their food from fungi. The fungus is known to be a eukaryotic organism, a tiny mushroom located on the roots of some parasitic orchids.
- Orchids may be used in certain industries. For example, the perfume industry and Asian medicine.
- Did you know that Vanilla planifolia is one of the species of the orchid family called Vanilla orchid? The one that you usually use as a flavor.
- Orchids first appeared on our planet more than hundred million years ago.
- Some species belonging to the orchid family can live for hundred years.
- The tiniest species of the orchid family is known as Plztystele jungermannioides.
Taking a good care for orchids
Here are some useful tips regarding the orchid care you can follow in order to take a good care for your flower:
- Orchids must get lots of sunlight, try to find a place with lots of natural light to give them around 14 hours of sunlight. However, if your plant has soft leaves, try to hide it from light and don’t place it in a sunny spot in your house.
- Watering the orchid too often can literally kill it. They can easily tolerate the drought but having too much water in the pot is not for them.
- The best place for an orchid would be a small pot made of plastic so that when you decide to re-pot your flower, you will not damage the roots. Foam peanuts are also welcomed.
Consider that there are more than 30,000 different orchid family species, therefore, it is very difficult to create general care instruction you can follow. The best advice would be watching your flower noticing what kind of care is the best for your orchid flower to keep it healthy and beautiful.