Concrete flooring, the polished one, has become very popular and common in many houses, especially the ones created in industrial decor style. Why? As simple as that, they look minimalistic and just great. They are very easy to clean and can make any house look beautiful and cozy all year round.
This type of flooring is considered one of the most versatile flooring in the house. Here is what you necessarily need to know before making a concrete floor in your kitchen, bedroom, living room or any other room in your house.
Positive aspects of having concrete flooring in the house
Polished concrete flooring has many advantages and positive sides for the house. These are:
- the right concrete paint lightens the space that faces the south side of the house with lots of sunlight coming through the window or balcony;
- make the small rooms look more spacious;
- dirt, dust, and pollen do not stick to the concrete floor, which is good for those people suffering from allergies;
- it is durable and easy to clean;
- easy to personalize;
- there are no grout lines.
Possible disadvantages of this type of concrete flooring
However, just like any other flooring, the concrete one has some specific sides and aspects you need to consider:
- the price of the polished concrete flooring may be high;
- if such flooring has not been laid properly with the assistance of a professional, the concrete can suddenly develop cracks;
- it may get cold in the winter;
- it is not very comfortable under your feet if you do not wear socks or slippers.
Techniques to follow in order to create a concrete floor
When it comes to concrete flooring, it does not mean your room will be fully opened for a cement truck. There are several techniques for helping to safely lay the concrete without creating a huge mess in the house.
The first one is commonly known as the honed floor. Such flooring is considered sanded with certain abrasives utilized for industrial purposes. In the end, you get a smooth surface.
The second one is a technique that allows you toweling in order to get the proper polished concrete floor.
The last common one is getting burnished surface by putting a topcoat on the concrete that is already set.
Finish look of concrete flooring of your choice
To be able to give a floor unique look, which is usually optional and depends on you and the budget you set for flooring makeover, there are a few different options that can help give the concrete flooring completely new appearance.
First of all, such flooring can be polished in a few different ways. The paste polish provides a new look making the color of the floor consistent. If your concrete flooring is a part of the industrial interior design, the best option for you would be picking deep polish.
For getting colorful concrete flooring, there are certain tools to make stained concrete floors, which are commonly preferred by individuals, and fully colored ones, which means you will get a vivid color.