The time after World War 2 was very meaningful for the people who were seeking to return comfort and peace into the renewed society. This is the way the retro concept appeared. This term was considered being some sort of local protest but quickly became popular all over the world. Furthermore, the sixties were the time of huge industrial developments letting retro style grow and turning into something new for those times.
This kind of interior design usually recreated the look of the styles being popular decades ago, making some new and unusual or mixing a few ones and getting a new style. Those mixed styles from the past, being the definition of term retro, are influenced by old music movements, art, fashion, certain objects, games and other retro-era trends. Furthermore, retro interior design suits all the rooms in the house.
Common features of the retro home design
To be able to give your room the look of real retro style, make sure to include these features:
- common materials, such as glass, plastic, wood and even chrome;
- bright colors and unusual combinations: green, yellow, orange, red, white, black, brown, purple, vivid pink;
- the combination of the vivid and neutral palette is also welcomed;
- the polished surface of furniture and other places;
- retro paintings of well-known vintage illustrators;
- graphic prints on the wall of vivid colors;
- geometric patterns and unusual bright textile;
- small doormats;
- lots of books as a symbol of education and intellectual potential;
- gramophone records, vinyl records, as well as record players;
- multi-colored pillows and cushions.
Furniture materials best suitable for retro style solutions
As it was mentioned before, retro home decor welcomes such materials as plastic, wood, and chrome. The first one became very popular and sixties due to the huge times of progress, which allowed inhabitants to utilize plastic for creating mobile furniture. It could be chairs, sofas, tables and even bookshelves.
The goal of the retro interior design is to create a nice and friendly atmosphere in the house. All the things that may seem incompatible with this style but still brings functionality are always welcomed. Retro is a mixture of different shapes, lines, and surfaces. You can purchase a few colorful sofas for a dining room or a huge bed for the bedroom. Vivid lava lamps can also become the part of the retro interior decor. Such style perfectly suits the people who are free-thinking, creative and independent.